Thursday, December 9, 2010

Scary Times

Been a busy, life-changing week this week, thought it would be good to write it all out and keep updates here.

So here's the long of it...

So far this pregnancy has been uneventful, but fairly painful compared to the first time. I mentioned it to my dr and he checked things out and we both assumed it was normal, baby is low, etc. Well, flash-forward to Monday, a day before 26 weeks and I had a new issue - a small amt of bleeding and goo. From my first pregnancy, I knew that this can be a sign of imminent labor and to always call when it happens.
So my dr was able to see me right away in the AM, he checked to see that my cervix was closed and ran a test called Fetal Fibronectin which tests to see if there is evidence of fluid that usually only shows up if your body is gearing up for labor. He called back around 3PM and told me the test was positive and that we needed to get things checked out via ultrasound the next day. So the next day I had an appt at 1:45pm for that, they were mainly checking the length of my cervix. This is where the bad news came, it was very short meaning there wasn't much there to hold Baby girl inside. I was immediately sent to Labor & Delivery where they hooked up all kinds of monitors to make sure I wasn't in labor or having contractions.
My doctor, with all the info said baby would be coming anywhere from that day to 2 weeks from then. My heart dropped as well as the tears of course, this baby needs to keep cooking!

After a bit of observation, baby got steroids to help her develop faster, I got blood draws for more tests, it was showing that baby is great, moving a ton, with only a few sporadic contractions and what they called an irritable uterus/incompetent cervix (for those who care for specifics - it measured 12mm 40-50% effaced dilated 1cm with normal at 26 weeks being 40-50mm 0% effaced and no dilation). It was great to hear that the issues are all with me and not the baby, but of course I wouldn't be human if I didn't feel like there is something I did or didn't do to cause this. I'm trying not to focus on that and just be thankful that we are buying time daily and have so many people who care for us.

Anyway, that night I started contracting every 2-3 min, got the shakes/chills and it just felt all too familiar remembering labor with Keira. Thankfully, the wonderful drug called Terbutilane (sp?) worked to stop them and I felt fantastic after that. Wednesday, my doctor confirmed that I was going to need to be taken to a hospital with a higher level NICU that could take care of the baby since signs kept coming up. More quick tests and a check of my cervix showed that there was no change and I was stable enough to be transferred to the Cities (almost by helicopter which would have been insane!).

After the fun, bumpy ride in the ambulance (um yeah, I have never used a bedpan before, but they are not fun, especially in there!) I was settled in my new room and met by my wonderful sisters ready to help in any way they can. The perinatologist came in and couldn't really give any firm answers since my body is the main predictor, but that they see these situations daily and things look good in his eyes.

Last night was pretty good, I was finally able to sleep (especially knowing we were somewhere that was able to care for our baby), but i did have another early morning bout of random contractions that thankfully were not as bad and subsided. I was able to go back to sleep after even :) Today has been nice and calm, I was able to shower and Josh has been running everywhere to get what we forgot, waiting on me like the great man he is. Only issues so far is that the Procardia they put me on to help with contractions is also a blood pressure med and it made my BP go pretty low. That, and Baby girl (who we are working on names for :)) hates the monitor they put on my belly to check her heartrate. She is already incredibly strong like her sister and kicks the thing right off :p One of the nurses actually said at 26 weeks she usually can't feel those kicks that strong! Also means she probably can hear pretty well already. All such good things!

Just a taste of what I get to taste (looks good, but yeahhhh, not so tasty!)

Tomorrow we should know a bit more - ultrasound in the morning to measure baby and cervix, check fluids and just take a look to see if there may be any signs to WHY this is all happening. Either way, we will most likely be here at North Memorial for at least a week (we welcome visitors by the way, just know I look pretty ragged :)) and if I am stable they will let me leave and go to someone's home closeby for bedrest there. They want me within 20-30 min from here or one of their partnered hospitals until baby comes or until 34 weeks when Bemidji would be able to care for her without the need for the higher-level NICU. We will be ecstatic if we make it that far for sure and will do whatever we have to to make sure she is safe & healthy :)

I have sooooo many people to thank - it is overwhelming how many people offer help without hesitation (I want to list everyone but you all know who you are and I prefer to thank you profusely in person :)). We have received So many thoughts and prayers from all over the country, too. Amazing, really - so many good people out there.


Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update... I am sure it feels good to be someplace that can take care of any situation that comes up. Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are doing this update . We can all know what is going on this way..Not your ordinary Page is certainly the right title. An extra log prayer for you will be sent tonight.

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad to find you're posting info here! I'm glad I thought to check! I told Josh on Wednesday that if her baby sister is anything like Keira, she's a TOUGH NUT and will hang in there! You take care. We're all pulling for you! I'll keep checking for updates so keep writing!
Hugs and BEST wishes,
Jodie and Miss Debbie and all the kids!

W said...

Crossing everything for good news tomorrow for you and Baby Girl :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us informed and we are all keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if there is anything that any of us can rest up & enjoy the hospital food (HA HA).

PBC Plant/Dispatch Department

Nate said...

Hang in the Carly!

Katie and I have been there, she was shipped out at 28 weeks by helicopter to Riverside's Antepartum Department for something similar. Being out of Bemidji with all this was the best thing that could have happened for you two. We heard a helicopter fly over and thought it was you.

Make sure you send Josh out to get you some good food. I was sent to Sawatdee a few times.


sept said...

carly, i'm thinking about you, hun! positive, happy thoughts that baby girl stays put for a good bit longer!

Jesse said...

Everyone at work is keeping our fingers crossed and hoping all goes well! Jess